The Russian Economic University named after G.V. Plekhanov was founded in 1907. For more than a 100 years the university has been associated with the national economy: the development of commerce and food production at the beginning of the 20th century, then the development of commodity research, growth of cooperative movement, formation of national economic statistics and management system , economic reforms of 1965-1970, macroeconomic and industry research in the 1980s, and the support during the formation of the market structures in the 1990s. University's science school (academicians L. Abalkin, A. Aganbegyan, V. Mayevsky, L. Grinberg, V. Makarov, P. Bunich, V. Ivanter, V. K Uleshov, Corresponding Member R. Greenberg) was the core of the Academy of the Economic Community of Russia for a prolonged period of time. In 2012–2015 the University expanded by merging with the Saratov State Socio-Economic University, the Russian State University of Trade and Economics, and the Moscow State University of Economics, statistics and informatics.
Currently, the education at University of G.V. Plekhanov is carried out across the entire spectrum of educational programs: from secondary general education to the training of graduate and doctoral students. The University is based in Moscow and has 22 branches in different regions of the Russian Federation and abroad. More than 50,000 undergraduate and 780 postgraduate students are enrolled at the institution that are taught by 2,500 faculty members. Moscow campus has over 20,000 undergraduate students and 580 graduate students taught by 1,200 teachers. 8,400 students study in the programs of secondary vocational education at the Russian University of Economics with over 400 teachers, including 3,500 students and 150 teachers at the Moscow campus.